WolframAlpha has been there for me since 2009, digesting everything I feed it and in return, giving me sometimes fun, sometimes complicated answers.
In the “A Few Things to Try” section, it suggests you type in any date, your birthday for example. Type. Click. Load. And tadda! I’ve done this before and I’m just doing it again because of lack of more productive tasks.
My birthday: December 24, 1991, Gregorian Calendar (mark that on your planners, then send me a gift. haha)
- I was born on a Tuesday
- As of today (September 13, 2012), I am 20 years 8 months and 20 days old or 1081 weeks and 2 day old or 7569 days old or 20.71 years old.
- During my birth, the phase of the moon was WANING GIBBOUS.
- The sun rose at 6:18 am and set at 5:34 pm (both Manila time). Also, the duration of daylight was 11 hours and 16 minutes.
- This year, I will celebrate my 21st birthday on a Monday! 102 days or 3 months and 11 days or 14 weeks and 4 days to go!
- Lastly, I share the birthday of an actor and an explorer I am not familiar of as well as the death of a film director, an actor and a baseball player.
Using another suggestion, I typed ‘Ilagan‘ (my hometown) and ‘Manila‘ (my current residence). The two towns are 298 kilometers from each other and it takes 20 minutes by air (assuming direct flight path) to go from one to the other. Also, Ilagan is approximately 46 meters above sea level compared to Manila which is only elevated 13 meters. (I have a higher chance of surviving in Ilagan when all the icebergs melt).
Cool isn’t it? Click here if you want to try! :]
And so I got vain-ed with my birthday and searched Wikipedia for more!
I share the birthday of Ryan Seacrest (American Idol host), Stephenie Meyer (Twilight Saga author), and Ricky Martin (She Bangs She Bangs singer). The others I am not familiar with. December 24 is also the feast day of St. Adela and St. Irmina. Of course, my birthday is most popularly known as Christmas Eve.
I also tried the input “rovingrani in barcode” and it gave me this. Never mind the on-screen keyboard. As I said, my laptop is on the verge of death.
Are you a bum? Go search something about your birthday.
PS. WolframAlpha is a lot more than the petty things I mentioned above. It could compute and interpret a million more types of data, even epistaxis-inducing terms like calculus, number theory, regression, nuclear physics, cellular automata, airport schedules, derivatives valuation and etc. Their tagline, “what would you like to know about?” is very fitting!
HOW AWESOME IS THAT?!?